Broadcom® BCM8322, BCM8324 and BCM8325 are low power, low latency (referenceless) dual and quad CDRs with integrated limiting amplifiers, ideal for high port count 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) applications while providing support re-timing for 8GbE fiber channel, OC-192, 10GbE and OTU-2(e) rates. The new devices reset the jitter budget and enable longer printed circuit board (PCB) traces, compensating for transmission losses thereby increasing system signal integrity.
* Signal integrity is an issue that must be addressed by PCB designers in order to achieve the target bit error rate (BER), especially with long traces between the switch (or framer ASIC) and the optical module on the front panel. With the growing proliferation of 10GbE connectivity, port count densities will increase with the use of SFP+ modules on line-cards.
* The high level of integration and low power of the dual CDR BCM8322 will enable the next generation of XFP modules and a new generation of re-timed SFP+ modules.
* Industry's lowest power consumption at approximately 125mW and each CDR can be individually powered down.
* Enables sub-1W SFP+ modules that are SONET compliant.
* The referenceless CDR solutions operate over a wide data range from 8.5Gbps to 11.4Gbps without the need for an input reference clock.
* The quad CDR BCM8324 and BCM8325 devices serve an important function in resolving signal integrity problems due to board layout on high density/multi-port 10GbE line-cards. Key features of the CDRs include the following:
o Broadcom EyeOpener® technology, limiting amplifier and loss of signal detection.
o Incorporates programmable Tx pre-emphasis on the transmit outputs and programmable Rx equalization on the receive inputs.
+ The combined Tx pre-emphasis and Rx equalization improve the overall reach and compensate for electrical imperfections associated with line traces and connectors on high port count line-cards.
* Complies with Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF), IEEE 802.3ae, Telcordia®, ANSI, and ITU-T jitter standards.
* Pin compatible with previous generation BCM8302/8304/8305 CDR solutions.
* The Broadcom BCM8322 is a fully integrated multirate CDR that operates from 8.5 Gigabits per second (Gbps) to 11.4 Gbps and is targeted to small form factors such as XFP module applications and SFP+ line-card applications.
* The Broadcom BCM8324 is a fully integrated multi-rate CDR that operates from 8.5 Gigabits per second (Gbps) to 11.4 Gbps and is targeted to 40GbE modules, 4x10 Gigabit (10G) applications and for retiming 10G signals on line-cards for SFI/XFI compliance.
* The Broadcom BCM8325 is a fully integrated quad CDR that operates at 10.3125 Gbps and is targeted for 10GbE/40GbE modules, and for retiming 10GbE signals on line-cards.
* All devices are now sampling to early access customers with volume production in the second half of 2011.