dcom's new HomePlug AV2 solutions deliver the next generation of powerline communications for more reliable and faster Internet speeds throughout the home, regardless of geography or building structure, said Greg Fischer, Broadcom's Vice President and General Manager for Broadband Carrier Access. Our new devices enable global carriers and consumer electronics companies to offer superior voice, video and data services and products throughout the home.
We selected Broadcom's HomePlug AV2 technology for our next generation of powerline adapter for its high level of performance and reliability, said Ping Chen, D-Link's Chief Technology Officer. Broadcom's new offerings, together with our industry-leading innovations like free-to-use mydlink Cloud Services and Zero Configuration capability, enable us to provide our customers advanced and convenient networking solutions to support Internet video, online gaming, HD audio and other high throughput-demanding applications throughout the home.
HomePlug AV2 adopts several technical advances over the previous standard, to achieve a physical layer rate of 1.5Gbps versus 200Mbps with HomePlug AV, and to offer significantly stronger performance coverage throughout the home. HomePlug AV2 specifies an extended frequency band of up to 86 MHz, where it was previously limited to 30 MHz in HomePlug AV. HomePlug AV2 also introduces Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) — a technology that is already deployed by users of Broadcom's 802.11n and 802.11ac 5G Wi-Fi solutions. Similar to using multiple Wi-Fi antennas, HomePlug AV2 MIMO uses the three wires in a typical electrical outlet to simultaneously send more data on the different paths.
These advances make powerline communications a powerful and easy-to-implement home networking option, using a home's existing electrical outlets. In addition, Broadcom's HomePlug AV2 devices are fully interoperable with previous generations of HomePlug AV devices as well as HomePlug Green PHY devices used in Smart Energy applications. Interoperability with the most widely deployed powerline communications standards ensures both global telcos and home consumers can easily implement and enjoy HomePlug AV2 certified products.
Key Features of the BCM60500 and BCM60333
• Fully interoperable with all HomePlug AV2 profiles, which include 750 Mbps SISO and 1.5 Gbps MIMO physical layer rates
• Supports the forthcoming nVoy certification from the HomePlug Alliance for the IEEE 1905.1 standard to provide intelligent, multi-mode home networking
• Facilitates PLC-Wi-Fi hybrid networks used for improving link quality and coverage between the broadband gateway and STB
• Also supports push-button simple connect and authentication procedures for PLC-Wi-Fi extenders
• Native support for TR-069 remote management
• Minimizes overall design costs with an integrated Gigabit Ethernet PHY, an additional RGMII/MII interface for connecting to broadband gateway and STB SoCs, a PCIe interface for connecting to Wi-Fi chipsets, and integrated linear and switching voltage regulators to reduce external components
• Meets all regulatory power requirements including EuP Lot 6 and the CENELEC 50561-1 standard