Industrial Ethernet and wireless is fast growing

3rd March 2017
Posted By : Anna Flockett
Industrial Ethernet and wireless is fast growing

Accelerated by the increasing need for industrial devices to get connected and the Industrial Internet of Things, industrial Ethernet and wireless growth, is the main finding of HMS Industrial Networks´ annual study of the industrial network market. Industrial Ethernet now accounts for 46% of the market (38 last year). Wireless technologies are also coming on strong, now at 6% market share. Combined, industrial Ethernet and wireless now account for 52% of the market, while fieldbuses are at 48%.

Fieldbus vs. industrial Ethernet and wireless
HMS´s estimation for 2017 based on number of new installed nodes in 2016 within Factory Automation, the estimation is based on several market studies and HMS´s own sales statistics.

HMS Industrial Networks now presents their annual analysis of the industrial network market, which focuses on new installed nodes within factory automation globally. As an independent supplier of products and services for industrial communication and the Internet of Things, HMS has a substantial insight into the industrial network market. Here are some of the trends they see within industrial communication in 2017.

Industrial Internet of Things is boosting Industrial Ethernet growth
According to HMS, industrial Ethernet is growing faster than previous years, with a growth rate of 22%. Industrial Ethernet now makes up for 46% of the global market compared to 38% last year. EtherNet/IP and PROFINET are tied at first place, with PROFINET dominating in Central Europe, and EtherNet/IP leading in North America. Runners-up globally are EtherCAT, Modbus-TCP and Ethernet POWERLINK.

“We definitely see an accelerated transition towards various industrial Ethernet networks when it comes to new installed nodes,” said Anders Hansson, Marketing Director at HMS. “The transition to industrial Ethernet is driven by the need for high performance, integration between factory installations and IT-systems, as well as the Industrial Internet of Things in general.”

Wireless is redefining the networking picture
Wireless technologies are growing quickly by 32% and now accounts for 6% of the total market. Within Wireless, WLAN is the most popular technology, followed by Bluetooth. “Wireless is increasingly being used by machine builders to realise innovative automation architectures and new solutions for connectivity and control, including Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) solutions via tablets or smartphones,” said Anders Hansson.

Fieldbus is still growing, but the growth is slowing down
Fieldbuses are still the most widely used type of networks with 48% of the market. Fieldbuses are still growing as many users ask for the traditional simplicity and reliability offered by fieldbuses, but the growth rate is slowing down, currently at around 4% compared to 7% last year. The dominant fieldbus is PROFIBUS with 14% of the total world market, followed by Modbus-RTU and CC-Link, both at 6%.


You must be logged in to comment

Write a comment

No comments




Sign up to view our publications

Sign up

Sign up to view our downloads

Sign up

Factories of the Future Expo 2018
28th February 2018
United Kingdom Manchester
Embedded Systems and MtoM & Objets Connectés
21st March 2018
France Paris expo Porte de Versailles
ICMIM 2018
16th April 2018
Germany Munich
IoT Tech Expo 2018
18th April 2018
United Kingdom Olympia, London
The Security Event 2019
9th April 2019
United Kingdom NEC, Birmingham